Monday 28 January 2013

Border line border print Cate

Well here is another Creative Cate top. This time in a border print.

I purchased this fabric and have been troubled by it ever since. Being 5'8 or 177 cm tall I was having problems with the space between the "borders". It wasn't a border on the selvedge but a repeating pattern and if I wanted the pattern at the bottom of a top, I had to cut into a bit of the pattern at the top and every pattern I had chosen for it was not practical. It would have been better had I purchased more of the fabric - I could have simply incorporated the pattern in both the top and bottom of the pattern - but alas - I had only purchased what I would normally for a top and therefore I only had 2 purple pattern bits in my fabric. This gave me pause. Until I came up with this:


I put the pattern at the top and I cut a "band" and put it on the bottom. Now I am entering this into One Pattern Many Looks on Pattern Review and I don't think it breaks the rules of drafting as no drafting was done. Instead of adding the 4 3/4 inches to the bottom of the pattern I need for my height and stomach, I added twice that much in a folded band.

I don't like it as much as my animal print one - maybe it is the band - not sure - I will have to live with it for a while - but am happy with it if for no other reason than it gets my purple pants out of the wardrobe they had been sitting in for 2 years as they were an orphan. I don't know what possessed me to buy them in the first place as I had nothing to go with them - I guess they looked good on the TV. Now they have a friend to play with.



Now to other news:

I have almost completed 2 items for Jungle January - Vogue 8815 peplum top and a skirt in an animal print that matches my first version of Cate..... however ..... my newly purchased second hand Elna 744 is skipping stitches BADLY in the coverhem....... I don't know if it is the needles or it needs a service.... *sigh*. Sad news is ... I don't know if they will be done in time to make an appearance on the "cat"walk. Luckily the sleeves on the above was done just as it started playing up and the bottom was taken care of with the "band".

I don't have any more of the "special" Schmetz ELx705 needles that came with the machine.... There is a drought of them is Sydney.... I don't even know if you can purchase them here. I will change the needles and see if that helps.... otherwise... I am going to have to take it in for a service. :-(

Any fellow Sydney sewists - especially in Inner West area - how much does an overlocker service normally cost and do you know any good service people?

Help!!!

17 comments:

  1. Beajay, I had a good service on my machine via Hobbysew Top ryde. Do you want to borrow my machine today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very kind of you. I won't take you up this time as I have other duties to do today. If I do change the needles and it doesn't work - I may take you up on you kind offer. Do you mind me asking how much your service cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can send you a packet of needles BeaJay. I have a tonne! 80 or 90?

    Love that top! Purple must be the go for the OPML cos I have just made a purple T. Although it's a little more grape than purple. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - that is sooo kind. I would love a packet of 80's. If you pop them in the post to me I will fix you up next time I see you. I will PM you at PR with my postal address.

      You ladies rock!

      Delete
  4. Love the purple, I think it's a wonderfully refreshing color. Great idea for using the border print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative fix! I love using a band at the bottom! Way easier than hemming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to see a border print topside instead of bottom. Or on it's side. You did a nice job with that fabric and your outfit is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you've made the border print work! Great looking top. I have a soft spot for purple, and I think the pants make this a very well put-together look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet purple outfit. When my machine plays up, I clean, oil and completely re-thread it. A real PITA but sometimes it does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beajay, what a brilliant colour match up with the trousers, very clever putting the border at the top. My overlocker was playing up, Put a new needle in and no different, so went out and bought specific Janome needles and it went like a dream, try the needles and clean before you have it serviced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Beajay! Lovely fabric, love the purple pants too. Suggestion for future - put the strong border around the bottom. It would blend into the dark colour of the trousers, and counter balance your top half. Also patterny fabrics over one's trouble spots like tum and bum breaks up any potential show through.
    None of this is to say that this top isn't yummy, cos it is! But in the interest of OPML, it will give you another completely different look from the same pattern :) xo

    ReplyDelete

  11. I love the border print at the top- I always think bottom and then decide aqgainst it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good. Like the way you made the border print work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great top and so glad the purple pants have a buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great thing to do with a border print! Very nice outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this top Beajay - what a great use of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.