Saturday 26 May 2012

Toiling away

I can't believe that it has been so long since I blogged or sewed. Time had gotten away from me and other things got in the way.

But I am back at it AND in a new sewing room to boot! So today I produced two muslins / toiles (not quite sure what to call them) and tomorrow I plan on producing 2 more. (Pictures tomorrow). So why so many toiles? This ties into the reason I needed a sewing room.

To cut out material I used to have to remove both sewing machine and overlocker, all sewing implements etc from the dining table to be able to put down mats to cut out the fabric then put the machines back to sew then remove machines to cut again etc, so I decided to cut out the fabric for four garments to toile at once and then put the machines back to sew. That was back in March.....

Anyway - I got to thinking - we have a "nothing" room - more like a walkthrough. It has the bathroom, hallway and back sunroom off it and we use it for ironing - hence it was called the ironing room - now re-christened the sewing room. It had a whole lot of old books and a broken futon sofa that collected stuff and an ironing board in it. It had a cupboard in it that was used to store old linen and blankets that haven't been used in years.. so I thought - get rid of the futon and junk and make it a sewing room. Sooo - if I had to get rid of the futon - that entails a council junk day pick up which means I should really clean through the whole house to see what else can be thrown out.. So that takes up a couple of sewing weekends. Then we had visitors come to stay for a while - then I was told by the owner of a training business that I was updating my diploma with that he had sold the business and wanted me to finish my diploma within a a few weeks - which meant weekends creating assessment tools and assessments.... so finally - after making my sewing room I got to start to sew up the toiles I cut.

I purchased a fold up table for my machines - big mistake - huge - once you start sewing it is like sewing on a train on uneven tracks - things were flying everywhere! It was hilarious to start - not so much after a few hours - I feel like I have lost some fillings.

The sewing room:

Easy access to both machines

It is great to have the ironing board within reach

A new home for Babs - which means she has been moved from the lobby where she had many a good time scaring delivery men (my sister made me cover her!!)- and my first full length mirror

Some good storage space


It has been so long since I sewed that Elle had to check that I had threaded the overlocker correctly

And that I had cut the fabric properly
It is great to have a sewing space - Overall I am happy with the space but there are a few things that I will need:

A table that doesn't shake rattle and roll
A chair so that I don't have to steal the one out of my office
A TV / DVD player - not to watch TV (I am so envious of the likes of Carolyn who can put on TV marathons to watch while sewing - I have to concentrate way too much!!) but to put on instructional DVDs

With these additions my sewing space will be complete.

Toiles / Muslins I am doing:




The top from the above pattern - I am thinking of doing this top as the one pattern many looks contest on Pattern Review - still tossing up what pattern to use but this is the forerunner - I need lots of long sleeved tops.

Both the V-necked top from this one (without the gather) and the jacket


And finally this top. Don't know if this one will suit me - it will be a wait and see.

I entered the Natural Fabric contest but didn't get time to do anything with it. There is still time - but the natural fabric I have is so lovely that I want to take time with it so I don't want to rush.

I have been lurking around other sewing blogs and enjoying reading but been so busy that I haven't been able to take the time to comment much. I now look forward to having the time to really enjoy my sewing again and enjoy other sewers projects more. I even joined the Australian Sewing Guild so it is all full steam ahead now.

Until later...

13 comments:

  1. Pam from South Australia26 May 2012 at 18:45

    Welcome back BeaJay. I am looking forward to seeing your toiles. Your new sewing room is great. It's certainly nice to have your own space that you can just close the door on in between sittings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pam - nice to hear from you. Hope your sewing is going well.

      Delete
  2. Hi BeaJay, I was wondering where you'd got to! :) Lovely room. You must get a new table because that shaking is murder on sewing machines. A good solid wooden table is best. :) How nice to have dedicated space! Friends of mine have a room like that which they call Arthur, as they felt it needed a name hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MrsC - how is the store going? It looks like you are having a lot of fun with it.

      Delete
    2. Best fun ever! :) Hard work though, I had today off, first day off in two months and gosh it was nice. :)

      Delete
  3. Great to see you posting again! I found it made a huge difference once I had a dedicated sewing space, its so nice to leave things out rather than have to pack them away every day. So I wish you lots of happy sewing in your new space, and I can't wait to see how the toiles turn out (I never know if I should call them toiles or muslins either!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzy, I have been following your sewing with great delight! I can see you are enjoying your space by the beautiful items you are producing.

      Delete
  4. Getting your own dedicated sewing room does have it challenges...and I know what you mean about your sewing table. Right not I'm looking to replace my cutting table because what worked good one place is not working so well here. You'll get it perfect in time, just keep sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn, I am looking forward to producing many items on a new table and will keep the fold up one for cutting. Good luck getting your new cutting table

      Delete
  5. I have made up 2 of those patterns! Simplicity 2344, top, is cute and comfortable, I have made it twice as is; but I have thought of several changes that could be done. I really like the fit on it! Simplicity 2336, I made the v-neck one and half times -- that is I made the jacket, then took the front of the v-neck top and stitched it into the jacket giving me a faux set -- love that item. I found the v-neck top a little lower than I generally like so raised the neckline slightly then made it again as a straight top, another winner. Good luck to you on them! I am looking forward to see how they come out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I popped over and had a look at your versions. They are great. Particularly love the faux twin set you made. Fantastic idea.

      Delete
  6. It's good to see you back. Having your own creative space is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mary. It's good to be back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.