I sewed the top of the yoke to the top of the skirt. The cut line seemed to follow well so I pinned it and sewed it. Then I remembered that I the yoke was self facing and therefore I had cut more and should have sewn the yokes together before stitching. (I cut it a couple of weeks ago and forgot). When I picked up the other cut pieces I had a "ah ha" moment and realised I had sewn the wrong ends together - hence the unpicker! I wondered why the length was different! I had taken the time to gather the bottom of the skirt so it fitted into the yoke - only to realise the fit was correct - it was just that I was sewing the wrong ends together.... @##$#@!
12:30pm and another break and round with the unpicker!! This time I sewed on the wrong side of the fabric! Seeing as the yoke is self faced - when I thought I had put the right sides of the fabric together to sew - I actually had sewed the wrong sides together - DOH!
And I am using an overlocker (serger) so my fabric is getting smaller as I cut away seam allowance!
Lucky I am doing a trial before using the actual fabric I want the skirt in.
Trial Fabric is a quilting cotton from Fabric.com:
Now the big problem is getting the zipper in. I have decided for an invisible zipper. Never done one before. Have the invisible zipper foot for my Janome (she is one well accessorised lady) - but apparently put it on the wrong way and broke a needle. Teach me to check where the hole for the needle is - DOH and double DOH. Have left it in disgust and watched a bit of telly while I calm down... (Andrew Denton interviewing Nigella Lawson). Back to it now.
Who knew an easy skirt could be so difficult!
4:48pm - lots of struggle with the zipper - finally in and now I know how it all works it will be easier next time. Skirt is now all sewn up and just needs hook and eye and hem...... maybe tomorrow... I am over it now and need to go and purchase the hook and eye.