Saturday 7 March 2015

Butterick 5863 -The reverse Toile - aka - what not to do.

The first cut is the deepest

Before I get into my finished items I want to say I was wowed by the response to my last post.
An amazing 138 people voted on my haircut.... I don't even know 138 people. I apologise to anyone who had a massive time suck playing with hairstyles on Taaz.com after reading my post (along with pinterest, facebook, blogger, twitter etc it is a wonder the world still rotates and things still get done.)


So - did I get my haircut and who am I sporting? Yes the cut has happened......

I really really really wanted Lisa. I have never had my hair in a style like that and haven't had a fringe since I was a teenager...... only a few short years ago....... My hairdresser recommended against it. She said my hair is too curly for that short a cut at the front and it would take maintenance to kept it looking good. That unless I used product and straightened it each wash it would go woolley. I didn't want to risk it as I had never been to this hairdresser before, she is relatively cheap and I have never seen customers in her salon... Hmm as Alison said to me - not very good signs.....

I ended up with a kind of frankencut - a mix of Sarah on the top and Lisa on the bottom,,,, Kind of.

Before and after


I actually really like my cut and once I wash it I will know if I will keep it. Good on the hairdresser. She turned out to be a find I think.

Back to sewing


When my Pretty Grievances Sabertooth Swap partner Barbara Jane sent me this beautiful beefy knit I was drawn to Butterick 5863. I thought it plain enough to let the fabric speak for itself but also have an interesting neckline.



Now - me being me, I decided to "adjust" the one thing that drew it to me - the neckline. I always find necklines too high and narrow for my big neck so I always make them lower and wider...........

Hmm - did you happen to notice how low and wide the neckline is on the model?



This is what it turned out like..... (and haircut after 2 days)



Not bad for a street walker but not exactly the look I was going for. Luckily Addicted to Fabric (where Barbara Jane purchased the fabric) had 1 lonely metre left and waiting just for me - talk about luck! After exchange of emails and phone calls that lonely remnant has a home and is waiting to be a fixed Butterick 5863. I am so glad as I love this top and the fabric is wonderful and the colours really look good on me if I might say so myself. StyleArc had a great khaki bengaline that would match beautifully but it sold out before I could get my grubby mits on it... *sigh* ..... I am hoping for more stock soon.

I did modify the top in other ways too. I made the sleeves longer and added length to the body as well.

I am modelling it with a pair of modified Linda pants in an absolutely gorgeous navy hybrid crepe from Emma One Sock. I LOVE this fabric. I have it in a multitude of colours and it will play a big part in my Artisan Square SWAP. It is not cheap, especially when you factor shipping to Australia into the price, but well worth the cost IMO. It feels divine, hangs beautifully and has my favourite thing in the material world - stretch.

Navy is not what I would normally pair with this top but I was being frugal with my modelling as my visiting sister was taking pics for me. I say these are modified Lindas as I gave them a little flare at the bottom. I like the way they turned out.

Anyhow, after the Gulf of Mexico neckline (or should I call it the Great Australian Bight), I thought I had better do a toile - after the horse has bolted so to speak. I used fabric that I purchased on sale and very cheap from the Remnant Warehouse. It was about half the price it is now when I purchased 5 metres of it.


Being photobombed by Elle



 Back of top and pants - haircut has held up well for 2 days.


Next step will be to add maybe another cm to the neckline and then to remake the Sabretooth top.

I am looking forward to finishing it and adding it to my wardrobe and also seeing how Barbara Jane transformed the fabric I sent her.

Happy sewing.

39 comments:

  1. Bea Jay, I love your new hair cut..Looks great on you.
    I really like your new top..The style looks good on you too..[I like the toile too. Pretty fabric..]Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool haircut, love the curly flipping back and the toile is wearable isn't it? Change is nice, it gives us a different perspective and lets people see a different side or angle to us.You look very peppy and approachable and just plain fun...all good traits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that hair cut is ace! Love the tops too and the neckline really suit you. How lucky to snap up the last metre of matching fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the haircut! You look stunning! The top is a good one on you - that square neckline is perfect. I hope you make many more. g

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hair looks awesome! That hair dresser is a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your haircut is beautiful and I love the colours in your top, they look gorgeous with the dark pants, be they navy or black. Both tops are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair and top look great. Spotlight has lots of colours in Bengaline (including khaki) and 30% off at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THE HAIR!!!!!! I also love that super colourful fabric, it is SO your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the hair!!!!! (and the top too...:) )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair is lovely. It really frames your face and is very glamourous. Your hairdresser is reslly a find. Fab fabric too. The colours are so vibrant. I like your top. That pattern is a good shape. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hair cut is great. I love the way the back sits. I love the top and both fabrics but I think you made a wise choice to get some more. I'm taking the cue for begaline at Spotlight... even though I don't need fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. BeaJay the new hairdo is FAB! It takes years off you. You look amazing in those bright colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the hair cut, and it still looks great two days later which is always a good test of a decent hair cut. Hope you can salvage your top with the extra fabric, it's a lovely print

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do love the new do! The top - don't you just hate it when it doesn't come out as expected?! Here's hoping you can make it work with the additional fabric. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your hair -- it has such great body! I have that same pattern but have not tried to sew it up yet. I also like the other view with the black trim. I'm glad you are sewing again and look forward to seeing your new, improved top:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the hair. Wish mine would do that nice curly, wavy flip at the back. Your top is great, and looks fantastic. Also love the pants. That slightly flared bottom on the legs is fantastic on your body. You just look lovely! Looking forward to your modified top. The toile also looks good and would go straight into my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the hair, almost distracting me from the makes. I really like the first top,the colours on the first pic really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hair looks great, really suits you! Really like what you've done with the fabric, I wouldn't have called it street walker at all. What will you do, add a band to the neckline? I'll post my make with the fabric you sent me today and look forward to seeing how you modify yours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute haircut -- you chose well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your haircut and so glad you listened to your hairdresser.

    Oops how frustrating but so glad you found the extra fabric to fix this top. Now the pants look very good and that fabric sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look great with your new haircut, dear friend, it's a great success !! These tops are beautiful, so glad you are doing alterations in the line of cleavage to adjust it to your style. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great haircut! I also like the flare in the pants - it looks very smart and gives nice balance. The top will be great in your fabric too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the hair cut! The first shirt, the one that is a bit wide in the neckline, that fabric is awesome!! great colors on you. Maybe you could take tucks in the neck line? little pleats to bring it in? Just too gorgeous to give up on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another thumbs up for the hair cut. And great outfits too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loving the haircut & the Grat Australian Bight. Gulf of Carpentaria, Simpson Desert or even Nullabor would also work.

    The fabric is beautiful, and the shape is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the hair, twin! And those pants! But my fave is that fabric from A2F..yummy! Glad you sorted out the neckline issue. Now you know why I make toiles all.the.time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your haircut and the bright lipstick really brightens your face. ANd i love the bright colourful fabric too. I think you look best in bright colours...the black and white shirts looks good but you need a bright scarf with it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lurve the haircut - wish I had some curls! And the lippy looks very fancy! Pretty colours on your 'streetwalker' top - glad you were able to save it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like them both! Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes to the hair!!! It's beautifully cut and styled.

    I laughed out loud at your street-walker and Gulf of Mexico comments. Good fix for the second one and nice that you were able to get the same fabric again. Score! I agree that the colors in the first knit look good - especially with the black Linda pants.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, your new hairstyle looks fantastic!! Yes, you should definitely keep this style from now on; you have the most gorgeous curly hair and you could never see it before tied back. I like your new tops too. the print in the first one is just lovely, very well fixed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the haircut. It's perfect for you.

    Very nice tops. Great fabrics, especially the colorful one.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Perfect hair cut ~ the new hairdresser could be a keeper! ... J

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the hair cut! Just so sassy! The raised neckline looked good as well. I am glad I read your blog about it. I was going to give it a try. I loved the original print on you. You have inspired me to start making more knit tops this last year. I just found your Adele top review. I wanted to make that also. Since I am a tall chick too (6ft) I like the advice of making the point a bit longer. You keep up the good sewing journey you are on.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous haircut! Both of the tops are really pretty. There is something about a square neck that really excites me. Maybe it's the idea of something different.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your honesty about the "what not to do" when modifying the Butterick 5863 "clothing pattern" is appreciated. The neckline mishap turned into an opportunity to find more fabric and improve the design. Your outfit with the navy hybrid crepe and modified Linda pants is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.