Saturday 3 March 2012

Pamela's Patterns "not so" magic skirt

To be fair - the skirt is magic in the way it goes together and the ease and simplicity of it... however being so top heavy - I need a bit of balance below and think I will stick to A-line or slightly straighter (ie - not tapering) skirt / dresses.

Now - before I embarrass myself by posting these pictures let me preface it by saying I used a fabric I was not wild about as a trial (and I am glad I did) and one that I had no tops to match so I have just thrown on any top.

I just wanted to post the pictures to show that top heavy people like me may need to think about this pattern. I am glad I have it and have sewn it as I can modify it now that it fits.

I really need to stop having photos taken in wind

Bring on the fake tan!!!!

With a cardi jacket to see how that looks
Now these pictures don't look too bad - that because I cut out the really bad bit - the girls! Unfair I know to doctor the pictures so much - but believe me - it wasn't pretty! It looked like I was going to topple over at any moment!

I thought about making the skirt a little longer (I already added an inch and half) - but I really don't think the style works for me. Thanks Pamela for a great simple and easy skirt - but the magic didn't work for me.

I am not going to post a review - I think it is a great skirt with lots of different great reviews so I will just put it aside and ponder.

What I learnt :

1. How to do a really easy elastic waist - Thanks Pamela - YEAH!
2. I need balance in my life (or at least my top to bottom wardrobe choices) - DOH!
3. That my blind hem foot works a treat when the hem is straight and not A-lined - YEAH!
4. That the blades in the overlocker (serger) cuts into fabric when you stop it and turn the fabric for a corner - gonna have to be careful - DOH
5. That although I wasn't in love with the pattern on the fabric I have found that I do like moleskin fabric - YEAH!

and finally - and this is a biggie

6. Trust the math. In my previous post about planning for this I mentioned that I had to add 5 inches to the pattern and did the whole 5 inches on the one pattern piece - which meant that I had actually added 20 inches as the pattern piece is one quarter of the skirt. Before I adjusted the pattern and cut the fabric I held the traced pattern piece up against me and lo and behold - it fit - from my middle front to side - perfect fit - couldn't work out why that would be but trusted the pattern fitting instead of the math. Cut the fabric (thinking - wow I knew I was big BUT...) and then sewed it up and tried it on - and guess what - about 15inches too big... What the ...???

Now let me tell you - I come from a mathematical family - my Grandfather was an inventor, my mother a tax consultant, my niece an accountant and my sister has been a financial controller of an organisation and now runs her own office management / bookkeeping and financial training business... I DID NOT get the math brain. I can do math (simple) run my business (business training NOT finance) and do my own tax - but that is where it ends.

It took a member of my mathematical family to point out that I am not only top heavy but front heavy too (in the kindest possible way!!) Hence my back is MUCH MUCH smaller than my front so while the pattern piece fit at front - not so much the back - DOH!

You live and learn (or sew and learn). I am enjoying the journey.

Until next time.

9 comments:

  1. That is so obvious now you point it out but 20/20 hindsight is how we learn eh! :) And of course those of us 'blessed' with extra body I think find it harder to know how to apply the body shape 'rules' that stylists like Gok discuss and demonstrate, using cute little models! So, we learn the hard way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right MrsC. What gets me too is that I can pick out clothes for myself very easily in shops - but I look at those lovely pictures on the pattern packets and must have them. Once they are delivered I look at the garment and think - jeez - why did I buy that! It is going to look ridiculous on me! I guess when it is on a hanger in a store I see myself in it - but on a picture of a model on the screen I just think how good THEY look in it - oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THe skirt does look good but I am sorry this style does not work for you but obviously all these lessons will be invaluable for your next project. Are you sewing another skirt next ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janine, Yes - I will probably try another skirt and I also have a top to do for my SWAP this month. Hopefully I can get them to coordinate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right Valerie - I will try it just widened a bit at the bottom so that it doesn't taper as much. I think going in at the bottom extenuated my top heavy bod. I am going to try it again as I think it is a good and easy pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the advice to widen it at the bottom, but you might want to try it above the knee next time too. Don't give up - it's a great way to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Brenda. I don't know about above the knee though... Don't think that is quite me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you would post a review.

    One of the best features of PR is to be able to see clothing made up and worn by real people - not size 2 models who are 6 feet tall.

    You did a beautiful job sewing and there's a place to rate the pattern as 'good pattern but didn't work for me'. You'll help someone else know if it's a style that would work for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mary - you are right and I will post a review after your comments. Probably over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.