Thursday 29 May 2014

Crime Scene Adele

The second top I finished on THE WEEKEND was the StyleArc Adele top which is a lovely tee with an asymmetrical point on the hem.



Why do I call it the Crime Scene Adele? Take a look at the fabric I used!!



Thought it would go well with my red Barbs.

The only change I made was to lower and widen the neckline a little as the girls need their space. I also had to cut my own neckband as I had changed the pattern. I used the shorter sleeve version and did not sew the side slit.

I held the pattern up against me and thought I wouldn't need to make the 2 inch (5cm) lengthening adjustment I normally make to StyleArc ( I am a tall chick) however looking at the pictures I think the front could come down an inch or so. For my next version (I do like it so I will make another) I will add the inch to the front by way of lowering the point rather than just adding an inch to the pattern as I think the point needs to be bigger on my bigger bod.

The fabric is a cotton rib that I purchased online from Denver Fabrics and has been marinading in my stash for a couple of years. I do love the fabric but a touch of lycra would have been good to give it recovery.

I was a little worried on how to do the point on my coverstitch and ended up starting at a point and sewing around to the back point. Then starting again at that point. It worked okay. If anyone has a tip on how to do points with 2 needles I would be very interested.


Overall happy for a first go at this pattern. I don't like doing muslins but I will call it a wearable muslin. I am considering putting darts in the bust of the next one. What do you think? There are some that don't like darts in knits but I think the girls might need them.

Still need to hem the other items from the weekend. 

29 comments:

  1. I do love your first version. The print is a good compliment to your red Barbs.
    Loving you in red.
    I don't have any tips about coverstitching on corners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know the first thing about coverstitch although I am interested. Love the print, love it with your red Barbs, and think you look great. Your clothing always looks like you're a happy person and want to share with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beverley! This top looks good on you, and with some tweaking it can be a great TNT pattern. I agree with making the point at the hem a bit lower, as your frame can handle it.
    Regarding darts, I'm on the fence about them. Sometimes I put them in the armscye, where the folds occur. It solves the problems of the folds, but in a solid fabric they can draw attention to themselves. Little arrows way up high, so to speak. So I think it depends on the fabric you're using.
    One tip on sewing darts in knits: use a stabilizer on the underside of the fabric as you stitch, like tear-away Solvy. It will keep the fabric from stretching as you sew. I keep a small pile of 1" strips of Solvy near my machine so I have them on hand when needed. A great tip from Marcy Tilton.
    I'm eager to see future renditions of this top. It has a nice shape that's flattering to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those great tips Dixie.

      Delete
    2. I just remembered - the name of the stabilizer I use is Totally Stable. It's made by Sulky. Don't know if you have it in Oz but it's a great product.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tips on sewing darts in knits. Good idea!

      Delete
  4. You always make me smile with your witty posts and love your first crime scene Adele top :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your adele top. Looks great with the red pants.. I think you did a great job with the point.. Great pattern. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud when I read, "take a look at the fabric." Yes, it does have a some one got shot look to it once you brought it to my attention, but it's a great print and a great top. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great top and love the fabric and it goes so well with your red pants!

    With your coverstitch one needle is higher than the other, so when you get to the point you want to pivot, raise the needles slowly (by turning the wheel) so that one just clears the fabric and the other is still in the fabric, then pivot and continue, I have had reasonable success with this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alien blue blood or local ;) Great top, and yes you can easily lower the point on the hem

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm laughing at Ista's comment too - it certainly is a crime scene fabric :). It looks lovely on you BeaJay - the blues in the top are just the right shade for your skin tone as well. The red Barbs look fantastic on you - they suit you - probably, once again, the lovely warm colours. And your slim legs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great fabric that coordinates well with your red pants. I agree that lowering the point at the front would look good for your next Adele top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the description! I think the point could be lower, but sharper, coming back to the current side length. Plus, I'm curious as to how it will look on the other side?

    Good to see you blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's quite lovely, nice to see you in bright colours too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great top Beverley! You find some great prints. I look forward to your next version with the lowered point. I'd also like to let you know that I have almost finished the StyleArc Gina tucked top that I bought with the voucher you gave me. I've been offline and out of the sewing room since Christmas, but am getting my act together again now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you are back Look forward to seeing the Gina top

      Delete
  14. Crime scene! hahaha. Perfect name and it looks nice and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE that print! It's highly exuberant! You always pick fabrics that are fun to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The whole outfit looks awesome! I love your print and absolutely love the pants. WOO HOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the print, very Jackson Pollock. Pretty top, especially for a wearable muslin. Looks great with those pants too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving this top and the pants too! You sure did do a great job for a wearable muslin :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got a kick out of the name! Oh Beajay, I adore your sense of humor.......Your blouse too me is more like artistic scene (paint splatter) and as always, another lovely addition to your wardrobe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that top is very flattering on you and goes great with the red Barbs! I love your sense of humor too...crime scene, indeed, how could one not read a post labeled like that?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! And I love the name you gave this top...Style Arc patterns are the best. I've slowly transitioned over to only buying indie patterns and Style Arc never disappoints.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Crime scene fabric. Hah. Funny. Another great outfit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.