Sunday 10 November 2013

Two birds - one scone

I suppose that title only works if you pronounce Scone as in Stone not as in gone. I know in the US a scone is somewhat different to what it is here in Oz.... Down under it is something to have with jam and cream and tea.

When the fabulous Velosewer announced that there was going to be a high tea to mark Pattern Review's 12th birthday then I thought - time for a tea dress! So combining the Make one Garment a Month Challenge with High Tea I came up with the below dress which was still being hemmed (I use the term loosely as I only used steam a seam and no stitches - I am now in love with the stuff) an hour before I arrived at Parramatta at Adora Handmade Chocolates.

I must say the last High Tea I attended cost over AUS$100 and we didn't get much more for our money than we did for our AUS $15 at Adora, It was however at the Ritz Carlton in London. Andora was delicious with not a scone in sight.




I decided to pair Simplicity 1586 with a lovely floral sateen that I purchased as a end of roll from Spotties for next to nix a couple of years ago. After all - doesn't a tea party call for flowers? This is my November garment for the challenge that the lovely Sarah Liz is hosting (Yes I made it this month - does that classify as a pun - made it!!!?? as in got it done!) This is the first step in my Princess Seamed TNT dress.


The cardi I wore with it was made in September but not blogged about as it was really just a copy of a favoured RTW cover that was wearing out. You can see the originial here. I just used Style Arc Abby as a base but didn't use the "collar" waterfall and made it less "flaired".

It brought a smile to my face to see a table of 10 women all wearing lovely self made clothes.Gorgeous. The power of the sewing machine. A lot of the sewists there are part of my ASG sewing group and it was great to see them all frocked up. It was also wonderful to meet others. It was great to chat to Lena Merin of The Sewing Space who's gelatin method is legendary and who's blog is full of great tutorials. She is in the midst of creating more patterns. I have been following for ages but never had the pleasure of meeting her before. I was lucky enough to sit next to Janelle of Sew Hopeful - a lovely lady who's bright and cheerful personality was a delight. It will be great to read her blog now that I know her. It was also wonderful to meet Ryn who doesn't have a blog and had heard about the get together through Pattern Review.

There was a specially made cake for us - which was a "smash cake" where you smash it and inside are chocolates. Most appropriate for a chocolate shop.


And here is Velosewer wielding the hammer of THOR and cracking the cake (guess what I watched last night :-)




Thanks once again to Velosewer for arranging a great afternoon. If you missed it, pop over to see her review of the day.

I will review my dress once I get a picture of it without the cardi so that I can catalogue the changes I need to make for the next version. They are hidden under the cardi.

Whatever you are doing - where-ever you are - have a great day / night.

25 comments:

  1. I'd say a tea party definitely calls for a floral dress and yours looks lovely. Looks like a delightful time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your high tea outfit was vey smart and love the floral dress and look forward to seeing more details. It was lovely catching up with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to have missed the fun, your floral dress is gorgeous and perfect for the occasion :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new dress! I especially love the photo of you and Kristy on velosewer's blog. And where I'm from in the US, stone and gone rhyme;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your dress and your hair! Divine!

    We have scones here, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Beverley. You helped make the afternoon lots of fun. You looked great in your new outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look wonderful and I love the new do. Forgive me if you've had it a while and I've just missed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect dress for an afternoon tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress looks lovely! So fancy all dressed up for an afternoon tea. It had to be wonderful to get together with other sewers and have a fun afternoon with everyone in their beautiful dresses. Can't wait to hear more about the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your dress ~ and I am pinching your hemming technique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those colors are perfect for you. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a 'scone as in gone' kinda girl, so it took me bit to get the title!!! Love to dress, the colors are gorgeous and it goes so well with your jacket. Looks like you all had a great time and the chocolate cake is such a great idea!! Being British - I rather enjoy High Tea. Nothing like cucumber sandwiches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ensemble BeaJay! Love the print and the cardi. Looks like a lovely high tea. Well done on completing your dress within the month - I'm just about to post my October garment which includes the very scary invisible zip I was talking about in September. :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the dress
    love the new hair doo
    love that cake! looks like a real nice day, and lovely outfits

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, what great fun! how much I wish I could go too and meet all you wonderful girls! You look fabulous in your outfit too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dress and cardi are delicious and did you plan to match the color of the cake which also looks delicious! I don't know what a smash cake is but I do know what scones are from living in the UK for 8 years. Looking forward to seeing the dress without the cardi in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun time and I truly feel inspired by the power of the sewing machine seeing all of these familiar faces in their gorgeous work! I'll be buying your Simplicity pattern now- you look sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look lovely and I love your hair!! I'm glad you had such a great time. I made scones a few days ago... now I think I may have to make them again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A meeting with other sewers, speaking of cakes, patterns, sewing and chocolate ... Oh, darling! You have been in heaven! Lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the dress & love your hair! You are looking FAB-ulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now I'm sitting here trying to work out how I pronounce scone ha ha. I love your dress, the fabric is such a beautiful print and your brown drapey cardigan matched it perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi BeaJay, I've been away for a few days, and only now am I catching up with posts. And what a great post this is :) You look absolutely gorgeous - and so does your hair. What a great afternoon you had - it must be lovely to meet the other bloggers (and sewers). What a wonderful cake idea - I guess the broken bits were yummy too :)

    Thank you for saying nice things about me too, not sure I deserve them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the dress, cardi, & hair! You look awesome! Wish I could have been there to share the fellowship & help eat the chocolate shell & goodies....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your outfit. You look great in it and also very happy and seeing you in the picture made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your dress and cardi.. What a wonderful tea , and to attend with so many other like minded sewers..How fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.