Sunday 17 November 2013

Sit and Sew at Tessuti's Sew Inn

Well what a day yesterday was. Seven dedicated sewists landed on the doorstep of Tessuti Fabrics in Surry Hills (at their invitation - thanks Dilliander for organising it with Tessutis) for a wonderful day of sitting, sewing and chatting and of course - fabric shopping!!!


Above are Kristy on left, moi in middle, Sharon on the end with Wendy at the cutting table. Velosewer and Margaret are missing in action from the photo - probably roaming the aisles drooling at the fabric - I know that is what I was doing in a Zombie like trance when I first arrived). Dilliander (from Pattern Review - and winner of Tessuti's gridlock competition) took the photo.

It was a great set up - no need to lug our machines as Tessuti's had Berninas set up for us and a couple of overlockers. This is the area where they normally hold classes. They will be putting up next year's classes soon and I am hoping to join the "bring your own project" class. It was amazing how many customers came over to check us out and see what was going on - and asking us for advice!

The stunning Colette from Tessuti Fabrics made us feel more than welcome. Check out the blog she and Lisa write about Tessuti, their fabrics and patterns. We really couldn't have had a better hostess. She was on hand to help if there were any questions about the machines, showed us where we could get tea and coffee, chatted to us about our sewing and offered us a lovely on the day discount.... as if the fabric wasn't tempting enough..... and yes *sigh* a couple of gorgeous pieces came home with me. (And I know I wasn't the only one from our group who had a little splurge or two) I really had to restrain myself. Their fabric is of such a fine quality. This is what I purchased.



On the top is a most exquisite 100% silk chiffon with a self stripe. Underneath is an amazing faux suede. I say amazing as it feels so much like suede I can't believe it isn't. It has a wonderful weight to it and was initially going to be a skirt - however there was a bit left on the roll so Colette threw that in too so I am thinking my TNT dress may get another edition.

I was initially drawn to the silk as I was lucky enough to get in quick and get some of the paprika coloured stretch bengaline from StyleArc before it sold out (yes - it went in the blink of an eye) and I wanted some fabric to match the Barb pants I am going to make with the Bengaline. Then I saw the suede and I was in LURVE. So these items have been re-homed in my stash until my skills are up to using them....

I managed to finish a Style Arc Fay skirt and half of a Style Arc Pia top at Tessuti's and am hoping to finish the top today (if I can drag myself away from stroking the suede!!)

BTW - Anne over at Pretty Grievances has announced Jungle January mark 2 ... how exciting. Purr Purr. I did look at a beautiful peach leopard silk at Tessuti's. Glad I hadn't heard the announcement before going as I am not sure I could have resisted it had I known..

What are you up to today?

15 comments:

  1. Hi Beverley, Thanks for the lift home. Colette was a lovely host to us all. Sandra did a great job organising this visit.

    I'm diving into my stash as we speak to find jungle prints for Ann's next Jungle January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you all had a great day. I'm a teeny bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lucky little duck. How I would love to visit Tessuti's :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, fabric envy here, too. This sounds like a wonderful store. One which I'll probably never have opportunity to visit, but it's nice to visit vicariously through your blog. I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh...now I know where my missing ASG group members were!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't begin to tell you how jealous I am. :-) Looking forward to seeing some of those new makes and fabrics sewn up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhh! Your fabric choices are just gorgeous ~ can't wait to see them sewn up...soon! Sounds like you all had one brilliant day ~ and yes, I am totally jealous as well ... J

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second Judith's comment - I am absolutely Green with :). Spare a thought for us poor northerners !!!

    Glad you enjoyed yourself, absolutely adore that silk :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous day out, you lucky gals! I think I need to start dropping hints to Tessuti to open a Brisbane store (not that I live in Brisbane but is is closer than Sydney or Melbourne!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like so much fun! What a great way to spend the day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am officially jealous, A) to have a group of sewing living nearby you and B) that shop , its enormous. Looks like a another great sewing related day. Those fabrics are lovely, especially the silk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a great day - although I think that if we start doing that regularly my stash will expand considerably!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for a great day ladies it was fun and it could get very dangerous if we attend regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.