- Shortening the length - I have shown later in this post with this version in both the "normal" length and about an inch shorter.
- Having the shrug tied higher - I have shown this too
- Lowering the neckline
- Putting in the front and back darts - I will try this with a woven I think - I will have to work out where they start and stop too.
Thanks for the comments.
So here is the next version. Well - I am happy with this. Almost perfect in my eyes. The one problem is the neckline isn't sitting perfectly - I don't know what this is. I may have to wear it to my next sewing group and see if the more experienced sewists can tell me. I am calling this TNAT (tried and almost there) As stated in last post - I will need to try it with a woven and with sleeves before I can breathe a sigh of relief. I also think that I would like to lower the neckline about an inch.
I added a bit of ease to the bust and took off the hip points that didn't show up in the picture of the green dress but believe me they were there.
|Couldn't do much with the position of the purple flower - I had a hair's breadth of fabric left over so no room to play. I will always wear it with a cardi or jacket anyway.|
|I think maybe the back neck needs to come up a bit too.|
|Don't know what the weird white spot is - there was one on the last lot of pics too.|
Version 2 and 3 together. There is not much difference to the eye - but the changes were made.
|Must get myself a new pose.|
Length and shrug comparisons - unfortunately I only ironed and pinned the hem and it dropped in places - but the idea is there.
Although it does show off the legs with the shorter length - I think the longer length balances me out a bit more - what do you think?
Does it ruin the nice shape of the skirt? Or could that be because it isn't hemmed but pinned?
I think tied higher accentuates the girls a little too much for me.
Not too mention the out of proportion upper back.
Good experiment though.
What I have learnt so far during this process:
- I do tend to make things too big a lot of the time
- How to turn under and coverstitch necklines and armholes - although I think I need a bit more work on this - they are not lying flat. I don't know if it is because I am using Steam a Seam and ironing - maybe that is stretching it.
- How to do a back split
- The importance of spending time on a pattern to get it right.
- Straight skirts are not bad on me (pencil ones don't look any good - I am too top heavy - but straight is good).
- What a centre back seam is for. I had always cut on the fold even when it said to cut two. Mainly because my shape - round - doesn't really need a zipper. I even pull jeans up without undoing the zip - so I omit the zip and cut on the fold. Since I was putting in a back spit I needed the seam - and low and behold - I realised the back seam isn't straight anyway (as it is when you cut on the fold) but adds shape to the waist.
- Rediscovering my Janome. Since I purchased an overlocker (serger) I tended to try and sew everything on it. Kind of like when you get a dishwasher - if it can't go in the dishwasher - don't use it or buy it Instead of using the Elna Overlocker I have used the Janome DC3050 for these dresses and used a proper seam allowance. I think sometimes things are bigger on me as I wasn't using the seam allowance given in the pattern but skimming it on the overlocker. This was not only giving extra room to the garment but not giving as nice seams as I have found by using my seam roll and pressing open the seam. It really does give it a lovely neat finish.
- I am really happy with the shape of the skirt on this - there have also been a lot of comments supporting this so I am going to trace this off for a skirt pattern too!
What's up next? Another try at TNT?
No. I am going to let it marinate for a bit. However in version 4 I shall:
- bring the back neckline up a bit
- bring the front neckline down a bit
- I might try the square neckline
- I am going to try a *gasp* lined woven with an invisable zip - never done one of those before!!!! Must pull out my Sandra Bezina Zip DVD and see if it helps.
- KC and Louise - I may even tack out some front and / or back darts to see how it goes.
I think my biggest challenge for that one is to work out how to do a lining with a zip and a back slit. I have done a simple lining on my red dress - but I didn't have to attach it to a zip or a split - and of course that invisible zip.
So what will be my next project? I really love the above dress and want to make a brown ponte jacket to go with it. (The shrug is getting worn out). Besides which - I want to replicate the look Carolyn achieved.
I am going to TRY the StyleArc Marni Ponti Jacket. I can hear all the Jedi Masters out there saying - "Do or do not - there is no try" but alas - skill and experience does play a part! It is no use me trying to use the force - I need to use the Janome!
I purchased a whole lot of very good quality brown Japanese Ponte in honour of a beautiful gift sent to me (some time ago) from the amazing Anne from Pretty Grievances. I wanted to show it off to it's best so brought some brown ponte for a dress and jacket. Once I have the jacket done I will make a matching dress out of my TNAT pattern. Then I will show off the lovely pressie. I wanted to get the dress pattern right first.
This is a lot more complex that what I am used to - this will be a real challenge for me..