Monday 26 January 2015

Jungle January and the Sabertooth Swap.

The drought has broken.

It really took some doing to get my sewjo mojo a flowing. After so long with problems with my knee and our cold winter I lost the momentum with sewing. I did quite a bit of cutting and just a little sewing but really couldn't get my act together.

It took a great day at Tessutis with my sewing buddies (and Jungle January) to re-ignite my mojo. I took 3 items already cut out and ready to sew. At Tessutis I did the sewing of the seams on all 3, so all I had to do was the finishing - binding / hemming etc. The items made up so quickly and it really made me want to sew again.

In a beautiful navy hybrid crepe from EmmaOneSock I cut a Jalie 8 gore skirt and a pair of StyleArc Linda Pants. These are part of my Artisan's Square SWAP. These will be photographed when I finish some matching tops.

In a lovely fabric from Darn Cheap Fabrics I had a cut out dress from McCalls 5890. This is fabric I first saw on the lovely and talented Thornberry and HAD. TO. HAVE! With its fun scales it fits right into the Jungle. If you like anything animal head over to Pretty Grievances and check out the cat walk before the cruise ends. Yes - it's Jungle January.




It is quite a heavy ponte so will be put in the safari suitcase and pulled out in winter.

Of course I will wear it with a jacket or cardigan like below - but I am thinking more of the Orange StyleArc Fiona I have planned. There are touches of orange in the fabric but maybe full on Orange will be too much. I will have to look when I get the Fiona sewn.





Overall I am happy with the dress.

Oh - and btw - look at what Santa brought me.



This is so much better than the little cutting mats that I used before. Longer than my dining table. No more shuffling little boards around. It was purchased here and is 1.8m x 0.9m (or 71" X 36" for those not in cms). I was able to pick it up at Yagoona so even saved on the shipping.

On the cutting table....


I have some gorgeous fabric from The Remnant Warehouse. It is a Spirograph bengaline. It is more of a wedgwood colour than the aqua in the picture and quite beefy. The feel is lovely and it is a reversible jacquard - although I am only going to use one side (Can't decide which one though). I did purchase some of the red (which is less orange than in the pic on their website) for a dress and may use both sides of that one.

Although this is a departure from my A.S. SWAP, I can't help it - the fabric is crying out to be a pair of summer capris.


Also on the table is a lacy (from the remnants warehouse) little jardi. Short sleeved for summer. You can see the fabric in the pic of the cutting board but if you want a closer look you can find it here.

The lovely Anne at Pretty Grievances also gave me my Sabertooth SWAP partner. This is where we swap animal print fabric with a partner who then makes an item with it.



It was really exciting to receive fabric from Barbara at Barbara Jane Made. (And great to find another Aussie sewist). Barbara gifted me this lovely knit (and 2 spools of matching cotton - oh yeah!) and now I am deciding on what to make of it. It is thick without being too hot like ponte and has a nice recovery.




These are my picks. I can either make a top or use it for panels in a dress. I am leaning towards the top in the lower left corner.


Wish me luck.

Now before I go I want to share a tip I read on Sewing on the Edge. This tip is sure to CHANGE MY LIFE!!!!!! At the moment I and sitting in the loungeroom having a rest after the mammoth task of ironing steam a seam on the neckline and armholes of a dress (believe me - it is a mammoth task - especially in today's heat). Using Barbara's tip I shouldn't have to do that anymore. If you are one of the few who don't follow her or if you missed the post -  check it out.

P.S. I wrote this yesterday but hadn't taken the pics. The temperature has dropped 18 degrees celsius today (that is over 64 degrees fahrenheit) and it is actually cool - hallelujah.

Happy Australia Day to my fellow Aussies




Have a good sewing day.

31 comments:

  1. Your dress looks great and I think the shorter style cardi will look perfect with it as well. Now your fabric from Barbara looks gorgeous and the top looks like a perfect match. I saw the tip on Sewing on the Edge and might have to look at that getting some of that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress turned out very well and is perfect for Jungle January. The Fiona cardigan sounds like a good match. That cutting mat is a fantastic size. I have never bothered with rotary cutters and mats because the mats I have seen all look too small and impractical. Would you recommend this method of cutting out for dressmakers and what are the advantages over using dressmaking scissors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean - scissors vs rotary cutters is a very personal thing. I love the rotary cutters because I can't cut straight with scissors, it is quick and more accurate (for me anyway) and if I want to do multiples (like I did with my Barb pants) I can lay the fabrics on top of each other and cut out a few pairs in one go.

      Delete
  3. Great that your sewing mojo has returned, You are looking 'cool' in your dress and wrap. Yesterday was a hot one commonly referred to as a 'stinker' in Aussie slang. Happy Australia Day to you Beverley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got your sew-jo back! The dress is fantastic and looks like it fits perfectly. I think the short orange cardi should be very nice with it. Also can't live without my mat also about the same size but a zillion years old now. Excited to see you getting through your projects and your SWAP. Even though I'm on fabric restriction, I probably would have bit on the spirograph print too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got your sew-jo back. If you find mine can you please send it to me? Love the dress, love all your new fabrics. I think a burnt orange cardigan will be perfect with your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. now I never thought to cut out more than one pair of pants at a time , I'll havre to give that a try! glad you got your mojo to kick back in , the dress looks great & if you wantta wear orange, go for it! lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress BeaJay and I think the orange Style Arc Fiona will be great with it. I love your spirograph bengaline, it is a glorious blue on my monitor, not at all aqua. Glad to hear your sew-jo has returned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your dress, very jungle january. I think have the same fabric! I made Anita ponti pants, they get a lot of wear. That Wedgewood bengaline is lovely, look forward to seeing what you make with it and the other jungle january make, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the dress, I also like the material you received, the bottom middle right pattern looks good also. So pleased your feeling better and sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I died of cold watching your first picture, dear Lady, but certainly it'sa beautiful dress to wait for warmer days, I think orange blends perfectly with it.
      This cutting board is great !!
    It is always a pleasure for my eye to see all the beautiful fabrics of your stash and enjoy your sewing adventures and projects. Wishing you a week full of sewing mojo, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No-one can resist the call of the jungle!
    Great to see you back BeaJay, and in such a fabulous frock too ;)
    Your sabre tooth swap partner chose very well for you, that fabric is perfect colour combo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Killer dress and fabric selection and most of all FIT! Lordie, I'd make this dress up in a rainbow of colors and just wait for the compliments! Cool new cutting board as well and looking forward to seeing what the new fabric turns into. You are definitely an inspiration to all sewers, BeaJay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad to see that you're sewing again! I had never actually noticed that McCall's pattern before (the one that you used for the dress), but I really like it, and I think that the dress looks smashing on you. I agree with the other posters that the shorter Fiona cardigan will look great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a bit slow commenting here - I went to work yesterday while the office was quiet ! BeaJay, I love the dress print on you - you really do suit these sorts of patterns and colours - and a nice long line over the front looks wonderful, with the dress flaring out.

    I'm glad your mojo is back - we all have our ups and downs in life.

    Love that fabric that you are planning to make into a top. As requested, wishing you lots of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ditto to all the lovely comments above, my sentiments exactly... this dress, style, fabric and cardi options are a great way to fire up your sewing mojo... you are on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! Your swap fabric- my heart!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great great dress! That fabric - I have never seen it before! And yes, I love your cutting mat. Wow. Happy for you that you feel like sewing again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for returning sewjo! Your JJ project is quite nice and I think will look nice with an orange cardi. Be bold!

    I like the colorful knit as well and am quite interested in seeing what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I sometimes tire of applying steam-a-seam as well. Even though I *love* that stuff, it can be a pain to fuse to hems and necklines. Thanks for posting a link to Barbara's tip.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful dress and fabric choice, i think the short cardigan will look great as will not hide the dress.
    Love that cutting mat, hope i had the space for it, it would make my life easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the dress it looks great on you. Love the fabric as well can't wait to see it in a top. The weather has been so humid in Sydney I'm happy wearing very loose clothing. I hope you had a lovely Australia Day it was so nice being a bit cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmm...I've used that fusible thread before and it didn't. Fuse that is. YMMV. Maybe mine was old. Like me. Oh & BTW..I've got that lace fabric for a cardi too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can be twins! Apart from the fact I'm twice your size up and around. And I have learnt a new short speak - YMMV.

      Delete
    2. And we are completely different shapes. Plus you've got legs!

      Delete
  23. Glad to see you back! A very nice dress, too. I agree with some of the others, I think a shorter cardigan will look even better:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great photo at the end BeaJay! A great dress. I think it will look fantastic with the orange cardi. That is one big mat and really the only size I would want so I'm going to check out that website. Lots to have a look at in this post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

  25. If you are looking for Best DGCA ground classes in delhi, you have come to the right place. We offer the best quality classes and training to help you prepare for your exams.Our courses are meant to equip you with the knowledge and abilities you need to be successful.
    Must Know:-

    DGCA Ground Classes in delhi

    Best DGCA Ground Classes in india

    DGCA Ground Classes in india



    ReplyDelete
  26. โปรโมชั่น pg slot มากมาย เล่นง่ายจ่ายจริง แตกจริง ต้อง pg slot เท่านั้น! เล่นสล็อต พีจีสล็อต เว็บไซต์ตรงผู้ให้บริการเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ชั้นหนึ่ง ทกลอง เล่น ฟรี พร้อมโบนัส

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.