Monday 3 November 2014

StyleArc Harper Jacket and a wadder

First I would like to thank all for your lovely comments on my SWAP plan. Of course I wish I had the shape of the images - they all look fab on the plan (I did widen them a little) but my sewing skills in additon to my round bod will make them look somewhat different ;-0

Below is the StyleArc Harper Jacket. It has been wrapped around Babs keeping her warm waiting on a photo opportunity.. This was made in a lovely navy stretch crepe from EmmaOneSock. I have ordered more and will eventually make a skirt and a pair of Linda pants for the Artisan Square SWAP.



Now it will be worn as per in the SWAP plan - not with the outfit shown here. Also it was very very windy and it was difficult to keep the lapels from flying everywhere and I was trying to keep my hair out of my eyes.

Orignially I wanted to use this jacket as one of the 5 tops needed for the SWAP rules as it is designed to be worn either open as above or closed with the supplied hook and eyes.

Now I don't normally wear it closed as I don't like high necklines so I closed it up and took a picture of it closed and - well let us just say that I have changed my mind about using it as a top... Not going to happen.

In the interest of showing the not so good.... here it is.

Still trying to keep the hair from flying in the eyes!


Nuh - definitely not!!! Now don't blame Harper. You can see the gorgeous Anne from Clothing Engineer wears it well.

I also have a lovely SA Abby cardi I did on the weekend away last May and now finished but it needs a plain top - which is a hole in the wardrobe..

Now onto the wadder.

I wanted to participate in the trend of patterned pants and looked at the StyleArc Lola pants.... but common sense (and Trinny and Suzanna) say that if you are large in the top half you need to balance that out in the lower half so I didn't think tapered pants were the answer. I also fell in lurve with these pants in RTW




Hence I went with Linda pants and just added more fabric to accommodate the lack of stretch. I ended up wishing I had added more ease. (More about that later)

The fabric was from an el-cheapo fabric store in Marrickville. It looks and feels like a Rayon challis but for the price I don't think so. Probably a poly cotton. Forgot to look. Excuse the fuzzy picture but for some reason my camera has decided not to flash any more which makes indoor pictures fuzzy. Need to update.


Oops - note to self - don't take morning pics still in nightie when there is a mirror behind photographed item.
Any hoo - el-cheapo thin fabric plus lack of ease - hmmmm bent over to put on shoes and heard that unmistakable sound ------------ rippppppppppp. Not worth trying to save. Fabric is too thin.

On the chopping board - oops - cutting table.

I have cut a trial in taupe jersey for the StyleArc Fiona cardi. It is a fabric hog with that band. If it goes well I will do it in an orange for my SWAP.



That's it for now. Wow - 2 posts in 2 days.... 

30 comments:

  1. Sew girl Sew! That's a nice jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your Harper jacket! That's a little different style than we usually see you sew, but I think that the jacket looks very nice and looks very nice on you! Bummer about the print pant wadder, but we all have those from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you back Beverley. The Harper is nice open and I'm sure will be used a lot. I don't like high necklines either and although it looks good on Anne, I don't really like it closed (even on the pattern envelope). Shame about the pants as the print is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the harper on you..Looks so pretty.. Sorry about the wadder.. I really like the fabric,sorry it didn't last..That always is terrible.. I have quiet a few of them.
    Best wishes with your swap plans.. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The H rapper is definitely a winner when worn open . I made the SA Abby with a simple Kwik Sew top as a twinset and love it. ( must blog about that after my haircut - vanity lol ) pity about your pants but I view my wadders as learning opportunities and never wasted ( also made a wadder twinset- must blog about that too ! ) looking forward to your next swap instalment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloody auto correct harper not h rapper !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, for trying to complete a SWAP. I've tried a couple of times, which helped me realize I'm really not a structured "wardrobe" type of dresser. I prefer unique pieces that work with a couple of different bottoms and maybe a jacket/cardigan, but I don't need it all to go together. But since you wear skirts, dresses and pants, this is a good idea for you. I'm eager to see your pieces as you make them.
    Good to see how well Style Arc works for you. I have yet to try them, but they definitely have some potential for me.
    Great to see you sewing again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to see you have managed some sewing, surprising how a little at a time adds up. The Harper jacket looks great on you and agree closed doesn't work for your body. The Fiona cardi looks very nice. Sorry about the pants and that noise of ripping fabric, I have heard that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Harper! I just finished one in a wool knit and love it. Re the Fiona: I think the pattern illustration is somewhat misleading. It is drawn as sort of a cocoon shape, but the pattern has quite a bit of flare from shaped side seams that continue to flare out in the band. I like mine, but next time I want to straighen out the side seams and the band and made it more rounded. Maybe a little longer, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara - do you have a blog with pics? Would love to see your Fiona.

      Delete
  10. I like the Harper open best. It's a pity about your wadder, the fabric looks so nice, too. I love your SWAP plans. I will be interested to see how the Fiona goes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the Harper must be worn open, very flattering on you. I can hear that Rip...a pity. Good luck with all the SWAP plans

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the jacket! And yes, definitely like it best open. Sorry to hear about the rrrrriiiippppp! D: That must've been horrifying, but it could've been worse: you could've not been at home when it happened! :O

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super looking jacket ~ you will get a heap of wear out of this ... J

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great jacket and a great start to your SWAP plans.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The jacket looks great, and works with that outfit too. Nice combo. Sorry about the print pants. I figured out when I made a nice rayon challis blouse out of the same pattern I'd used before that they need more ease than a regular cotton, not to mention any stretch factor at all. I'd try using 1" seam allowances, and then if necessary, you have a bit extra.
    Can't wait to see you proceeding on your SWAP. Looks like a wonderful plan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The navy looks great with your hair! A great start to your SWAP.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your tops they are so modern and stylish. Style Arc patterns look the bizz. Sorry to hear aboout your trousers. They were very nice. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the jacket open better- good for swooshing about! Print pants have lured me too! I may look clowny, but I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pants too tight? I know and understand your pain.

    How's the knee?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear...the pants episode is a sad one...(but I confess, I laughed when I read it) ...Haven't done that with pants but definitely know that sound (and uh-oh sensation) with a couple overly ambitious pencil skirts....ahem... Your SWAP colours are perfect! Sharon's wonderful SWAP influence is washing over me these days too.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, love!! Can you tell that I love it? =) Waterfall cardis are so flattering and graceful. It's definitely on my list to make.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do like a drapey cardi - although I can see why you are not so keen on it 'closed'. SHame about the pants - I love patterned pants, very funky!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Beajay, Trinny and Susannah's advice is usually pretty good. May I ask which body shape you are under their system? I *think* I am a cello, but I'm never quite sure. Basically a pear with a large-ish bust in any case. Too bad the pants fabric gave way, as it is a nice print. Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I would say that I am an apple. That is what I have always thought of myself as.

      Delete
  24. Hi Beajay - I am so pleased you decided to participate in the SWAP. I admire your verve and your thoughtfulness. I also think you have a really good understanding of the colours that work for you, and your plans (both of them) are just great. I am in awe of how far you have got already. I am the same in that the things I really want to make are a bit beyond my sewing skills. But I suppose all of us are learning and if you want to learn you need to set the bar a little higher each time. Anyway I love your approach and I will be following your progress with much interest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oo I like your swap plans! Good luck with it and I hope it all goes smoothly for you! The navy/orange colour scheme is yummy, right up my tree too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made an orange Harper a little while ago, and like you found that closing it up wasn't up my alley. Open looks good! Good luck with the SWAP.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beajay - can you send me a note at cnorman underscore 98 at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. นอนไม่หลับทำยังไง - อย่าเพิ่งเข้านอนหากยังไม่ง่วง ลุกออกจากเตียงหาก นอนไม่หลับ หลีกเลี่ยงการใช้ห้องนอนทำกิจกรรมอย่างอื่น จะช่วยให้ร่างกายเชื่อมโยงห้องนอนหรือเตียงนอนกับการนอนหลับ หากยังไม่ง่วงก็ลองอ่านหนังสือฟังเพลงทำกิจกรรมผ่อนคลาย จนกว่าจะง่วงแล้วถึงเข้านอน พยายามอย่านอนในขณะที่ยังกังวลหรือเครียด ลองจดบันทึกควมคิดความกังวล สิ่งที่ต้องทำ สิ่งที่กังวล ไม่ต้องดูนาฬิกา เพราะนั่นจะทำให้กังวลมากขึ้น และทำให้นอนไม่หลับ

    แก้ปัญหานอนไม่หลับได้ง่ายๆ เพียงคลิ๊ก https://dtogenthailand.com/Insomnia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback and your interest.